Aromatherapy: The Best Essential Oils for Anxiety, Depression and Insomnia
Did you know that scents could have a great effect on our emotions and the way we feel? Essential oils are volatile oils which have aromatic molecules that are able to cross into the blood and brain barrier. They have a direct effect on the parts of our brain that control stress, anxiety, fear, and depression.
Even though severe cases of depression and anxiety can’t be fixed with essential oils, they may definitely help you reduce stress allowing your body and mind to relax.
Make sure to speak to a doctor before you stop taking any medication and solely rely on aromatherapy to help with your symptoms and negative emotions.
Essential Oils For Anxiety And Depression
There are many EOs (Essential Oils) available that can help you to ease symptoms of stress, depression, and anxiety. It is important though that you use the ones you like the most. Scents are very personal and they mustn’t upset or stress you even more because they don’t smell right or make you too emotional.
Here’s a list of essential oils and their benefits. Don’t let the list overwhelm you! Try the ones you enjoy most.
- Bergamot – Bergamot contains a refreshing scent which will uplift your emotions and help with problems like pain, anxiety, depression and stress.
- Basil – Basil also has an uplifting scent and it can help with problems like depression, fatigue and anxiety.
- Clary Sage – Clary sage can help with problems like insomnia, anxiety, and depression.
- Frankincense – One of the best essential oils for stress and anxiety is Frankincense as it is able to slow down your breathing making you feel calmer and more relaxed.
- Geranium – Works as a natural sedative which will uplift your emotions and release any negative thoughts. It works great for people who are suffering from depression and anxiety.
- Jasmine – Jasmine has a relaxing flowery scent that is known for its antispasmodic and uplifting properties.
- Lemon – Lemons have a refreshing scent with purifying and uplifting properties. It will help fight off negative emotions, stress, depression, and will also boost one’s immune system.
- Lavender – Lavender is a true cure-for-all. It helps with headaches, migraine, fear, anxiety, depression, nervousness, hypertension, and insomnia. It has a calming and relaxing effect on body and mind.
- Mandarin – Mandarin contains antispasmodic properties which are great for uplifting one’s mood and helps control the emotions.
- Marjoram – Marjoram has been used for ages to ease the feelings of fear, loneliness, grief, rejection, and anxiety.
- Wild Orange – Just as all the other citrus EOs, orange has a refreshing, energizing, and mood lifting effect. It works great to ease the feelings of panic, anger, irritation, and nervousness.
- Palmarosa – Palmarosa can help you reduce nervous tension and anxiety.
- Rose – Rose is a great scent as it is able to stimulate the nervous system and can help one’s overall well-being.
- Sandalwood – Sandalwood has a very comforting scent that contains sedative properties, which will calm down tension and reduce stress.
- Ylang-Ylang -Has a relaxing scent that balances male and female energies. Its scent restores confidence and equilibrium and can be used to treat insomnia, anxiety, and depression.
- Patchouli – Patchouli oil will help reduce the symptoms that come with depression. A relaxing bath with a couple drops of this oil will alleviate the symptoms of depression and relieve stress.
How To Use Essential Oils For Anxiety And Depression
Add in a couple drops of essential oil into your diffuser. This will diffuse your rooms throughout the day, which will lift your mood and calm your mind. If you have sleeping issues, diffuse your bedroom at night to promote a better night’s sleep or ease your thoughts. You can even add a few drops to your pillow to inhale while you sleep.
Add 1 to 2 drops of an essential onto your hands and rub them together. Cup your hands over your nose and take 5 deep breaths to decrease any feelings of depression, stress and anxiety.
Add 2 to 4 drops of essential oil onto a cotton ball and place it into a ziplock bag so you can carry it with you and sniff whenever you need. You can even carry a small bottle of EOs with you.
Add 10-12 drops of your favorite EO or EO blend to 2 oz. carrier oil (sweet almond, jojoba, or grapeseed oil are all good examples) for a relaxing and uplifting massage.
Calming EO Rub
Add 5 to 10 drops of EO to 2 tablespoons carrier oil or natural unscented lotion. Rub the mixture onto your neck, chest, bottoms of your feet, wrists, and behind the ears to get relief.
Add about 5 drops of essential oils to your bath to help with stress, anxiety and depression. If you have sensitive skin dilute the essential oil with a tablespoon of a carrier oil before adding the oil to your bath.
This will also give your bath a moisturizing effect which will protect your sensitive skin. Never add the oils to running water, as it will make them evaporate at a faster rate. Add them in after you have already turned the water off and mix them with your hand.
Surround Yourself With The Fragrance Of Healing EOs
- Add a few drops to your favorite lotion.
- Add a few drops to a tissue or cotton ball and put it in your car.
- Add 2 drops of your favorite EO on a cloth and put it in the dryer for nice smelling clothes.
- Add 2 to 3 drops on a cotton ball and put in the vacuum cleaner.
Powerful Essential Oil Blend For Anxiety And Depression
- 4 parts ylang-ylang EO
- 4 parts Clary sage EO
- 2 parts basil EO
- 3 parts geranium EO
- 1 part sandalwood EO
Combine these EOs into a small glass bottle, use dark glass to avoid oxidation. Whenever you feel the need, open the bottle to take a sniff or add 1 to 2 drops to the palm of your hands and inhale the vapors. You can also use this blend in your massage oils or add them to your bathtub.http://healthinformative.net/aromatherapy-best-essential-oils-anxiety-depression-insomnia/https://i2.wp.com/healthinformative.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/antidepressant.jpg?fit=765%2C410https://i2.wp.com/healthinformative.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/antidepressant.jpg?resize=150%2C150General HealthHolistic Healingantidepressants,anxiety,aromatherapy,depression,essential oils,fatigue,health info,health informative,home remedy,insomnia,natural,natural andidepressants,relax,relaxing,relief,stress,stress relief,treatment