Left handed people have long been considered as special. In the past, some cultures believed that such people were affected by some mysterious supernatural forces.
But now, though scientists still can’t explain how it really happens, it is generally believed that the reason why some people use one hand over the other is purely genetic.
One really interesting fact about left-handers was from a scientist who believed that left handed people tended to be more independent as a result of having to adapt to a world which is largely built for right handed individuals.
Check out more unusual facts about left-handers that you probably didn’t know:
– Left-handers make up between 5% and 10% of the world’s population.
– Of the 7 most recent U.S Presidents, 4 have been left handed.
– They are three times more likely to become alcoholics – the right side of the brain has a lower tolerance to alcohol.
– Left handed people make especially good baseball players, tennis players, swimmers, boxers and fencers (almost 40% of the top tennis players are left-handers)
– They draw figures facing to the right.
– More likely to pursue creative careers.
– On a QWERTY keyboard there are 1447 English words typed solely with the left hand, whilst only 187 are typed with the right hand.
– There are 2 times more male left-handers than female.
– 40% of the golden medals in boxing were won by left-handed people.
– They tend to reach puberty 4 to 5 months later than right-handers.
– 4 from 5 of the developers of MacBook were left handed.
– They use the other hand more often than right handed people.
– They are more likely to have allergies and are more prone to migraines.
Are you left handed, or anyone near you? Please share your thoughts and comments below.