When you have a big day ahead, waking up with puffy eyes can be really frustrating. Having puffy eyes alone is one of the biggest beauty problems.
Puffy eyes occur because of many different reasons, like crying excessively, too much physical stress, genetic, hormonal problems, weather change, sinuses, hangover, poor diet, not enough sleep and certain allergic reactions.
Puffy eyes may make you look exhausted and sick. However, there are many different ways you can easily fix this with some simple natural remedies.
Here are the top 10 ways to get rid of puffy eyes:
The easiest way to get rid of puffy eyes is to drink water. When the body is well hydrated, there is less chance of water retention that can cause your under-eye area and other parts of your body to swell. Water also helps flush toxins out of the body.
To stay well hydrated, drink at least 8 to 10 glasses of water each day. In addition to this, you must reduce the amount of salt you eat to reduce water retention in the body. Also, avoid caffeinated and carbonated beverages that can lead to dehydrating.
2. Cold Spoons
This actually works better than people might think before trying it. It tightens the skin around your eyes and relaxes the blood vessels, which helps to eliminate puffy eyes.
- Place 5 to 6 metal spoons inside of your refrigerator for about 10 to 15 minutes
- Place the rounded side onto your eyes for a few minutes until the spoon gets warm
- As the spoon warms up, change it out with a cold one.
3. Tea Bags
Either green tea bags or black tea bags, both can help soothe puffy and irritated eyes. They contain anti-irritant properties that help reduce swelling around your eyes. They can also relieve rednessÂ and inflammation.
Green Tea Bags to Soothe Puffy and Irritated Eyes:
- Lie down and put the tea bags over your eyelids.
- Leave them in place forÂ 10 to 15Â minutes.
- Repeat a few times a day.
Cold cucumbers do wonders for puffy eyes. Cucumber astringent and enzyme properties will reduce inflammation and tighten the skin under the eyes. This remedy won’t just help with puffy eyes, but it will also eliminate dark circles and wrinkles.
- Cut the cucumber into thick slices.
- Place the slices into the refrigerator for about ten minutes.
- Place them on your eyelids and let them sit for 10 minutes.
- Apply the procedure a few times throughout the day.
5. Egg Whites
Egg whites have skin-tightening properties that can help banish under-eye bags as well as help prevent wrinkles.
- Separate the yolks from 2 eggs and put the whites in a bowl.
- Whip the egg whites thoroughly until you get a stiff consistency.
- Add a few drops of witch hazel, a natural skin-tightening astringent.
- Use a brush or soft cloth to apply this mixture under your eyes and allow it to dry.
- Leave it on for about 15 minutes.
- Do this daily for a few days.
Potatoes are a lot like cucumbers and they can also help to eliminate puffy eyes. The starch in potatoes contains anti-inflammatory properties that will reduce bags. This remedy will help with dark circles as well.
- Peel and wash the a potato
- Grate the potato and place it into a cloth and tie it
- Place this cloth on your eyelids or about 3 minutes.
- Repeat this until the puffiness has gone down.
7. Cold Water
If you had a rough night, didn’t get enough sleep and woke up with puffy eyes, cold water will help you greatly. Cold water is able to constrict the blood vessels and reduce swelling.
- Wash you face with ice cold water. You might have to do this a few time during the day if your eyes still look puffy.
- Another way you can do this is by filling a bag with ice and place it on your eyes for a few minutes or until the swelling has gone away.
8. Salt Water
Hot water with salt also works as a simple remedy to help reduce swelling and puffiness under your eyes. The salt water help get rid of the fluid retention in a way similar to osmosis.
- Mix Â˝ teaspoon of salt in a bowl containing a quart (4 cups) of water. Make sure the water is not too hot.
- Soak cotton balls or wool eye pads in this warm saline water and place them over your eyelids for a few minutes.
- Repeat the process for 15 to 20 minutes.
Strawberries contain alpha hydroxy acid which is able to make your skin smooth and young. It also has the ability to reduce puffiness and swelling under your eyes.
- Place the strawberries in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
- Once you take them out cut off the tops and slice them.
- Place the slices under your eyes for about ten minutes or until the puffiness has gone away.
10. Aloe Vera
The antioxidants and vitamin E present in aloe vera are effective in reducing puffiness around the eyes and also keep wrinkles and fine lines at bay.
Applying aloe vera gel on the area under your eyes will improve blood circulation and flush out the fluids around the eyes, thus reducing swelling.
When applying the gel, you must be very careful that it does not get in your eyes. If you do not have pure aloe vera gel, you can use any skin care products that contain aloe vera gel or extracts.
The next time you wake up with puffy eyes, you can easily try out any of these home remedies that work like a miracle. If you have other symptoms except puffy eyes like pain, discomfort or blurred vision, we advise you to see a doctor as soon as possible.
Don’t forget to share as you might help someone in need, Cheers!
Image Credit: WikiHow